Quote of the week

“To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you're not, pretend you are.” – Muhammad Ali

Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Last Stretch – Rugby World Cup 2011

I think my rugby World Cup depression is gone, finally. It had been real bad to be honest. South Africa losing to Australia was one of my most painful episodes in recent years. The severity of it all is maybe hard to believe, even to me. I think it’s because I wasn’t able to watch the match. I wasn’t able to have closure, like they always say in the movies.
As is the case at times in Lesotho the electricity goes off at the most inopportune times.
The onset of my depression...
Had I watched the match I probably would have been able to see where it all went wrong. But because I had to rely on hearsay and rumour anger built inside. I won’t lie, I was particularly angry at the referee Bryce Lawrence.
Now I’m not usually one for conspiracy theories, but the guy is from New Zealand, so to my angry self he had a vested interest in the outcome.
This whole referee area is something the IRB probably has to look into going forward by the way. There was a similar ‘conspiracy’ case in the Samoa/South Africa game which involved Samoan centre Eliota Sapolu Fuimaono, a Welsh ref and the Boks winning. Sport has the ability to bring out the gravest paranoia even in the sanest man. Remove the doubt IRB.
My favourite for the tournament has always been Australia, for over 16 months now. I thought they had the best backline in the world and their pack, in the past two years, hasn’t been as bad as people said. To be honest I don’t know where this Pocock player has come from but he is pretty amazing too. So there you go.
Wales have been truly marvellous at this tournament and to lose two games by one point, where they have shown so much heart and skill, is terribly unlucky.
But what I’ve learnt in tournament play is that despite the saying ‘you have to beat all the best sides to win’ it is the sides that have the calmest route that win. I’ll use the Boks in 2007 as an example, even Spain at the football World Cup last year. Of course you will have a tough scrap along the way, but it’s hard to play six or six finals in such a short space of time.
So far this team has been New Zealand, and with South Africa out I get the feeling they have breathed a sigh of relief. Australia offer more weapons but South Africa have a fear factor in the close games that would have worried the All Blacks especially with all the expectation they are under. As it is I believe New Zealand will beat Australia today and will go on to beat France in the final.

How the heck did France reach the final?
How France has got to the final is frankly beyond me, but that is the beauty of the rugby world cup. It is short and brutal; things can change in a blink of an eye.
For South Africa there’s nothing drastic that needs to be done. Despite all I’ve said, I’d actually keep the coach, Peter de Villiers was doing a good job at the world cup and the Boks were playing well. South Africa just needs to breed a little more nous, like Thierry Lacroix said on Reunion the other day – South Africa posseses great power but they focus on that brawn more than imagination and it takes away from their all-round game and that magic that was needed to put away the Wallabies.
Who’s my player of the tournament? It would probably have to be someone from Wales... Halfpenny, Faletau... but my vote goes to the captain Sam Warburton, he's been superman. It was sad that he was sent off against France, it changed everything. Wales with Warburton would probably have won. But I thought it was the right call, even if the British media will try to spin it otherwise, as they already are.
Which brings me to my closing point, hopefully this World Cup will be won by brilliance rather than 'controversy' which judging by the refereeing so far and the ambiguity so far in the interpretation of the laws is possible. But it’s been a fantastic tournament hosted with enthusiasm by New Zealand. May the best team of the All Blacks, the Wallabies and Les Blues win.
I’ll be in my sweatpants sipping tea, with popcorn which yes, does taste quite good.
Tea and popcorn... heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment