Quote of the week

“To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you're not, pretend you are.” – Muhammad Ali

Monday, May 16, 2011

From The Archives - Ralekoti Mokhahlane

Ralekoti Mokhahlane (right)
Masheshena’s 2-0 win over LMPS yesterday coupled with LDF’s inactivity this weekend means LCS have climbed to the summit of the Vodacom Premier League with just three games left. With LCS looking on course for a fifth championship, a third in five years, From The Archives brings you one of Masheshena’s star players – Ralekoti Mokhahlane

The Pocket Rocket
A dance with dynamite

Sitting with Ralekoti Mokhahlane, it’s as hard to keep him penned-down as it is for rival midfielders each weekend. He’s a man in hurry, a man on mission, a man with places to go. He twitches and fidgets… firm but courteous.
That’s Mokhahlane in a nutshell, quiet but dangerous.
As a matter of fact the LCS playmaker speaks fresh from a weekend where that competitive nature overheated, resulting in a missed penalty and a red card against Lioli. Still he is in high spirits, “That wasn’t a red card,” he laughs. “I got two yellow cards, but that first one I didn’t touch him.”
While that is debatable what is not are the strides Mokhahlane has made in his football career. From B-Division to Premier League top scorer – and possibly top player – In six years.
In that time he has lifted three Premier League crowns, two MGC Super 8 cups and a Vodacom Challenge trophy.
It’s a road that Mokhahlane insists has also incorporated improvements disciplinarily. Saturday’s dismissal is an unwanted blot on his recent copy book. “That was my first red card since I have been at LCS. I was very disappointed because I feel I have improved from my days at Likhopo, where I got quite a number of red cards,” he says regretfully.
Standing at 1.70 metres Mokhahlane doesn’t seem much, but much like that dynamite in that small package, he packs a mighty punch. Nine goals in fourteen appearances this season attests to that.
“It’s all down to hard work and dedication,” he says. “Before work I do roadwork and in the evening I gym.”
Born twenty-three years ago in Marabeng, Berea, hard work, competition and football have always been key words in Mokhahlane’s vocabulary. Growing up the elder of two children, in modest surroundings, struggle came standard.
Still, the field of play was always where Mokhahlane’s powers were focused.
“Football was always number one for me. I played with my friends every day, wherever we could. At the age of twelve I played for my first team, Malimo,” he recalls.
He wasn’t to stay there for long. Only a year had passed when Bishop Molatoli, then coach of Matlama’s youth team, spotted Mokhahlane’s talent. “I was schooling at Mpho Community and we had a match against St. Bernadette (at Setsoto), I remember Lesotho was playing Namibia that day.  That’s when he (Molatoli) saw me,” Mokhahlane beams.
A life-long Matlama fan the opportunity was a dream come true. Nonetheless it wasn’t always easy to juggle football and an education.
“It was tough, you had to play football while also having to concentrate on your studies,” he says. Still Mokhahlane kept plugging away, with a little help along the way. “There was a guy who was part of Likhopo’s staff, Khotso Nthako. He used to encourage us and help wherever he could. My parents also supported me a lot, though I would say it was my father who supported me more because my mother wanted me to concentrate on school. But playing football was a dream of mine and I was prepared to work hard,” he says.
Armed with unwavering ambition Mokhahlane, alongside Sello ‘Muso, Bokang Mothoana and Tefo Maipato, honed his talent in Matlama’s youth ranks under Molatoli’s tutelage.
However Mokhahlane and his mates were to never play for Matlama – an historic series of events in 2001 saw to that. After a falling out with Matlama Molatoli left to form his own team FC Likhopo and took his protégées with him. The team was immediately registered and began campaigning in the B-division in 2001/02 season.
“We had grown up together and there was an unbelievable spirit in the team. In our first season in the B-division we were promoted and then the next year we won the A-Division to reach the Premier League.” Mokhahlane says.
With the Promised Land achieved Likhopo’s targets had to change. “We knew it was going to be hard so our man aim to be honest was to avoid relegation,” he says. After achieving that relatively humble target, Likhopo went on to capture back to back Premier League titles in 2004/05 and 2005/06. “We signed two experienced players Motlatsi Shale and Moses Ramafole, they helped us a lot. They brought experience and they us the confidence to play,” he says. However it was Mokhahlane’s partnership with Mothoana in Likhopo’s midfield that caught the eye.
“That was a great team. I remember those two seasons I played with Lefty (Mothoana) in midfield and no one could touch us, it was normal for us to beat a team 3-0,” he recalls fondly. “That was where I became the player I am today. They were some of the best years not only in my career, but in my life. We were like a family,” Mokhahlane says.
But the honeymoon soon ended as the harsh realities of football in Lesotho began to bite. A catalogue of uncontrollable factors, mainly education and the need for work, saw the grand side disintegrate.
“We lost many players. Players left to go to school… Roma, Fokothi (Lerotholi) for example, and once you’re there you can’t play for another team. Others left for work reasons. Scalo (‘Muso) and Ramafole went to Lioli, and Liteboho (Mokhehle) went to Matlama,” he says.
Consequently Likhopo finished sixth in the 2006/07 season.
“That is when I had to leave. I found work at LCS (Lesotho Correctional Services),” Mokhahlane says, “I guess if it were not for work… if Likhopo could offer something, then I would have never left,” he continues.
Joining LCS, then reigning champions, wasn’t easy.
“Going to LCS was tough. I had to play a different role to that I was used to and LCS’s style of play was very different to that of Likhopo. I had to start from scratch and build new combinations,” he says.
Once again Mokhahlane knuckled down and ultimately played his part in LCS’s 2007/08 league triumph. “I told myself that; this is where the coach wants me to play so I will have to work hard to adjust and learn the position,” he says.
Learn it he did and after their handsome league victory Mokhahlane and Masheshena were expected to sweep all before them this season. But things haven’t gone exactly to plan, LCS are in third place, four points behind joint leaders Lioli and LDF.
What’s gone wrong? “Not being able to play in the (CAF) Champion’s League affected us a lot. It really lowered morale,” he says. “At the start of the season our spirit was very high. Then we heard people on the street saying that we were not going play (in Africa) and when we actually heard it from the (Premier League) committee it really knocked us back.”
“We have a great team at LCS and I feel we would have done better in Africa this year. It was also a setback personally because it’s an opportunity to showcase your talent. It’s given us motivation to win this league,” he says.
But can LCS win the title? “Of course. We will definitely win. LCS are going for their third in a row. We want to keep that trophy,” he affirms. “The second round is tough and our rivals will drop points. We have to concentrate on winning our games and we will make up the gap.”
That will undoubtedly depend on Mokhahlane’s form. Gunning for the top scorer award Mokhahlane is also going for a fourth league title in five years, with which he will be the first player in Lesotho football to win multiple league championships with different clubs. But Mokhahlane remains level headed; his sole focus is on the team, on Masheshena.
“Winning four titles as a player would be nice while the top scorer award would be a bonus, but my main aim is help my team win the league,” Mokhahlane insists.
2009 is not only about LCS and possible personal rewards.
With Likuena rebuilding Mokhahlane wants to be part of the new generation, a generation he believes can lift the national team from its doldrums.
“Likuena can definitely improve. One thing I would say to the coach (Zavisa Milosavljevic) is that he should find a settled team; he should pick players and stick with them,” he says.
“Personally don’t think I have played my best for Likuena because I usually play on the wing. But playing for your country is still the biggest achievement and I want to be a permanent member of the team,” he says.
So what else is on his radar? “I want to keep playing well and keep improving. I would still want go play abroad. I crave that opportunity to play in South Africa or even further a field and if can progress that chance will come,” he says.
Clearly there is a lot at stake for Mokhahlane over the coming 12 months, and with his appointment over he is off to prepare for his next engagement. “It’s off to training,” he says. “We have a big game against Butha-Buthe Roses this weekend. It’s away so it’s going to be tough especially as we beat them 4-1 in the first round. But we have to win and I’m ready for the challenge.”  
That’s Ralekoti Mokhahlane – a man destined for greatness.
February 2009

2 comments:

  1. I missed those days playing with Ralekoti not only with FC Likhopo but also with the national team. The time with Likhopo being our second home is priceless, the time we won the league twice we were untouchable..

    With the experienced players we had in our team like Motlatsi Shale, Kabelo Mosothoane, Moses Ramafole, Tshepo Hlojeng and the late Ts'iliso Thite (may his soul rest in peace) we became the better players we are today thanks to them.

    I just want to wish "West" the best of luck in his career. He can make it big with the talent he has..

    Lefty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that was a special team and a special generation!!! Brought many smiles to football lovers in Lesotho. As you say, theres still more to achieve! Good luck West and good luck Lesotho!

    ReplyDelete